(Amharic for "family")

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I heard that on NPR...

So several weeks ago I was driving around listening to our public radio station, WUWM, and I heard a "teaser" for an upcoming Lake Effect show. The announcer was talking about a local couple who decided to adopt a baby from Ethiopia. That obviously caught my attention, but then I heard the names of the couple... they are our friends Becky & Patrick! We met them in March at an "Adoption Mixer" and have kept in touch since then. They did an outstanding job talking with Jane Hampden about their decision to adopt, why they were drawn to Ethiopia and expectations for the future. I highly recommend going to the following link to listen to their portion of the program. It can be found at:

www.wuwm.com/view_le.php?articleid=246

Becky and Patrick are also a super fun couple with an outstanding guacamole recipe! Michael and I look forward to more nights out together and play dates with their soon-to-be two sons.

Speaking of articulate people, my friend Bethanne recently gave me the poem below (you can see Mehandis's crib in the reflection). She is a previous co-worker of mine and was the person I went to first to seek out advice on "starting out" with the adoption process. Bethanne has two beautiful children from Colombia. The poem does a wonderful job illustrating the impact of both birth and life-long mothers while celebrating the gifts that each give. Thank you Bethanne for sharing this with me.

No comments: