(Amharic for "family")

Friday, July 13, 2007

The Day of Our Referral

So now that we are starting to see straight again... I would love to share more about the events that took place on our referral day!

As many of you have heard, we have been told several times that due to the summer court closure in Ethiopia... the cut-off for giving referrals would be made in early summer. This date was first June 15th, then June 29th, then July 6th and the latest was today - July 13th. So we have been on a thrilling ride of seeming "close-calls" and patience as of late. Last Friday, Michael called our social worker to find out if that day, July 6th, was the end of referral-giving... and that we should expect a match in the fall instead. Once again, CHSFS encouraged us that they expected to give referrals the next week and that the staff in Ethiopia felt confident that the children would still be able to make it through court - before closures at the end of July. This news was positive but we weren't totally convinced, so we began the week with more a patient versus "optimistic" heart.

This takes us to Monday, a day that I didn't have any work (one of about 3 so far this summer!) I went about the day working out, running errands, painting , cleaning and then putting lots of new family (but old photos!) pictures out. By 4 in the afternoon, I hadn't even changed out of my work out clothes and had left my phone out of ear shot several times. I saw that my work called at 4... but let it go to voicemail. About 10 minutes later the phone rang again - I thought it was once again work. Nope!!! It said CHSFS on the caller ID. I told myself that they could be calling to tell us that it there will be no more referrals given until fall, but I hoped otherwise.

When I answered the phone, Alexa, our social worker asked if it was a good time. Yes!!! She then let me know that she had a referral for us :) She told me that it was for a baby boy... and that the rest of the information she would share also would be sent via email, so I could write notes if I wanted to but it wasn't necessary. Thank goodness the details were emailed because my note taking skills were hysterical. I wrote down part of his name on one line, the rest on another, half words, and then just gave up since my hands were shaking too hard to write (that will have to go in the scrapbook).

I then realized that I wasn't going to be able to get Michael on three-way, but I could do the next best thing. While still on the phone with Alexa, I threw on some flip flops, ran out the front door (keeping it open & unlocked) and sped down our street to Michael's office. Fortunately, his office is on the next block over! I ran up the steps and opened his door and saw him packing up to go. He saw me on the phone and my huge smile gave him a clue as to what was happening. After hanging up the phone, I was able to share with my husband that WE HAVE A SON!

We went to the computer in his office and looked together, for the first time, into the big beautiful eyes of Mehandis Awano. It was incredible to experience that together, I will never forget the emotions of that day!


After returning home, Michael opened the bottle of champagne we had been saving for that exact moment.

1 comment:

rebekah said...

Oh you guys. I have tears in my eyes. I can't express enough how thrilled we are for you.