(Amharic for "family")

Sunday, July 29, 2007

EE-I-EE-I-O


Some of my friends and I spent Friday together in what I will call "Up North" - not sure if it actually is that direction, but it has that type of feel. Lots of exciting new things happening with these ladies, from starting new businesses to a potential European move, so it was nice to have time to share and suport one another.

The rain stopped us from boating but we enjoyed sitting outside amidst the farmer's fields and a variety of animals. We learned that one of our friends, Jamie, has the gift of being a "Pet Whisperer"!

Speaking of animals, I ran across a cute piece of information on somebody else's blog. It seems that in Ethiopia, the animals may also speak a different language (or more likely the people imitating them do). So if you plan on singing "Old McDonald" to a toddler in Ethiopia make sure you use the right sounds! Here is a quick tutorial...


Cow – Ehmbwahhhh
Sheep - Ehmbahh
Goat - Mehh Mehhhhh
Chicken - Back Back Back
Rooster - Coo Coo Looooooo
Frog - Quahck Quahck
Horse - Meeee ee eee eeee
Donkey - ah HEE ah HEE ah HEE
Dog - WOW wow wow
Cat - Meow
Snake - Tss Tss Tss
Mouse - Tss Tss Tss
Pig - Wehnk Wehnk

1 comment:

Sherri said...

Hi,
I am Courtney Van Auken's mom. I want to thank you for your wonderful blog. It has taught me so much about adoption from Ethiopia. Congratulations on your son. I look forward to many more blog stories and to the day that my grandchild comes home, too.
Thank you.
Sherri Damman