(Amharic for "family")

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Planes, Trains and Automobiles (plus a shuttle)

Last weekend Mehandis, my mom and I had a nice reprieve from winter... we took a quick trip to Tuscon! My mom was nice enough to take the train from Chicago to meet us here in Milwaukee, to make it easier for me. We flew Midwest, the best chocolate chip cookies in the air, to Phoenix. Proceeded to take a shuttle to get our rental car (which tested the patience of 3 tired travelers since it needed to have a car seat installed by us "novice" car seat installers.) Then in the morning drove about 2 hours to Tuscon. Through out it all Mehandis did super! He loved looking at the scenery as we were landing on the plane. The hotel room was a blast to him. We checked in around 11 at night (our time) and he got a second wind in order to giggle and explore the accommodations. Sleeping went well too :) Mehandis met his great-pa, a term my grandfather chose for himself. We all went out for a big lunch together and had fun watching old family movies.
My Aunt Cheryl delighted in Mehandis. His laughter was very contagious for my aunt and mom. Lots of giggle fits.
I think that Mehandis is now in the "blankie" stage. He surprised us by cuddling with anything blanket-like during this trip. This included his bibs (dirty or clean), my sweater and the hotel room towels. Pretty cute. Now should we push one specific blanket for him? Or does that get risky if we forget it/lose it? I think he will probably answer that one for us.

It was a fast yet fun trip. So nice to spend such a long time with Mehandis and my mom. Great perk that it happened to be during the time Milwaukee was subzero as well!

No comments: