(Amharic for "family")

Friday, August 10, 2007

Out on the Town

This week I had the opportunity to try two Milwaukee restaurants that I have never been to before. Due to the fact that Michael and I are not too adventurous with our cuisine (perhaps sampling between Saz's, Hector's or the $5 Pizza Pizza), it isn't surprising that there are many restaurants that we have yet to dine at!

On Tuesday, my book club traveled to Bombay Sweets - to go along with "The Namesake" written about a first-generation son of Indian parents. We had fun sampling a variety of dishes and checking out the many desserts & snacks. I wish I could remember the name of some of them.

Wednesday, Michael and I finally made it to the Ethiopian Cottage. I tried going with my mom when she was in town, but found out it's closed Monday's - the night we had planned for dinner. Then Michael and I said we would plan to go there the day we received our referral - this was also on a Monday. And wouldn't you know it, the day that Mehandis made it through court to officially become our son was also - Monday. So, Michael organized a group of our friends to meet us there on Wednesday night. The 8 of us dined in the traditional Ethiopian style... sitting in a circle around a platter of injera topped with vegetables and meat. We had no forks or plates, but scooped up the food with the pieces of injera and saved the hard-boiled egg delicacy for last :)

The owner of the Ethiopian Cottage, Yigletu Debebe, was a gracious host. He was excited to hear about our upcoming trip to Ethiopia and offered to help us any way he could. We also learned of an Ethiopian community, here in Milwaukee, that gets together several times a year. Yigletu said that the group is pretty small, about 100, but organize a variety of events.

So you think that I can get Michael to go for sushi with me next?

No comments: