(Amharic for "family")

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Two by Two

On Thursday my Aunt Ardith came up to Wauwatosa, from Flint, in order to help me learn how to use my Grandmother's sewing machine. My aunt is one of the few people in our family who knows how to use this "Rotary Electric Reversewe Sewing Machine" which my Grandmother purchased in 1940. The picture above is of Grandma Kremkow sewing one of her many projects... from maternity clothes to baby clothes to her mother-of-the-bride dress to matching outfits for her three grandkids!


Aunt Ardith so generously offered to come and give me a tour of the machine and a beginner's sewing lesson by making a baby blanket together. After a rough start of dropped stitches and the search for the perfect needle I began to sew! I think it was beneficial to have the multiple re-threads and do-overs because I sure did gain confidence with knowing how the machine handles and how to problem solve.

What a beautiful blanket we were able to make for Mehandis... following a little bit of sweat, a few drops of blood and lots of laughter. Thank you so much Aunt Ardith for your encouragement and patience! I will always remember the fun we had and hopefully many of the sewing tips as well!!!


1 comment:

Karen said...

Thank you for posting so many pictures in your blog! It's a treasure to see your son's first picture, Grandma sewing, view your finished blanket, and share in your adventures! Thinking of you both with lots of love. Karen Mabry